Monday, September 1, 2008

Inaugural Blog Post

As many of you know, over the last couple of years, I've managed to rid myself of 40 extra pounds. And I recently became a Cooper Certified personal trainer. I've learned a lot, and I'm ready to share!

Okay, so you're ready for a change. Ready to get in shape once and for all. Ready to make a committment.

Not so fast, there, Mama!

Committing yourself to a hard-and-fast training schedule and diet when it's not really your "lifestyle" right now could mean setting yourself up for failure. You won't stick with it and the pounds and old habits creep back over shorter and shorter periods of time. So, start small!

Personally, I started by cutting out fast food. Cutting. It. Out. Completely, y'all. That might be too lofty for some, so you might want to start with cutting it down to once a week. Then once every two weeks. By then, it'll start sounding gross to you. Really. Trust me on this one.
Another way to get on your way to a healthy lifestyle is to start MOVING! Weight loss is 60% exercise, 40% diet. You just can't do it through diet alone. Many have tried. Many have failed. (I being one of the many.)

My suggestion is that you make a run to Walmart and buy yourself a $5 pedometer. Put it on your shoe first thing in the morning, and make sure that the sun doesn't set on you until you've logged 10,000 steps. (You'd be shocked at how much a trip to the grocery store will contribute to your number.)

If you're feeling a little ambitious and want to do a little more to jump start your weight loss/healthy lifestyle efforts, hit the floor and do some push-ups. They're the best for getting that upper body toned up. Got a testy toddler? Put that baby on your back, and push, push, push!

Girls, I know you've heard others (hopefully not you, yourselves!) say, "I would lift weights, but I don't want to bulk up." Huh? Bulk up? We don't have enough testosterone to bulk up! We need those weight-bearing exercises in order to stave off osteoporosis! So, yeah, start the push-ups whenever you get used to your 10,000 steps/day and/or if you just feel like doing a little extra.

One more note about diet: NEVER let yourself get hungry. Ever. Eat constantly if you have to. Bet you weren't expecting me to say that! Just eat sensibly, and try and have a carb with a protein whenever you eat. String cheese and an apple. Tuna and a few low-fat crackers. A cup of yogurt and a few grapes. The protein helps you stay fuller longer.

Okay, so that's the first edition of my random ramblings. Questions? Just ask!

No comments: