Sunday, October 19, 2008

Eating After 8:00 p.m.

I've had many questions about my statement that you definitely SHOULD eat after 8:00 p.m. so I thought I would address the issue in more detail.

Now, let me preface this by saying that, if you can't resist the late-night ice cream, candy bars, and pototo chips, maybe you should, in fact, not eat after 8:00. But, here's the deal folks...You shouldn't be eating those things on a regular basis anyway.

I found this article a while back, and I thought it really summed it up nicely. Read on:

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2225.html

This concept is also supported by The Cooper Institute.

And I think I should also take this opportunity to point out that you should NEVER let your stomach growl. (I think I had a question about this, too.) Because your body is trying to tell you something when that happens. "Hey, chica, you need to FEED me! I need energy (aka, calories)!" Don't deprive your body of the nourishment it needs. When you do, you tend to be absolutely ravenous the next time you sit down and eat a meal. And you eat everything that's not nailed down. (I know this from experience.) You'll end up eating more calories during the meal where your stomach is empty than you would have if you had had yourself a little snack an hour or so beforehand.

So that crap that your mom always told you about "don't have a snack right now because you'll spoil your dinner" just doesn't fly when it comes to healthy eating habits. It goes right out the window with "clean your plate."

I'm always hungry after 8:00 p.m. And it's because of my increased physical activity. So I feed my body some little something at around 9:00 or 10:00 so that I don't go to bed with my tummy growling. I usually try to pair a carb with a protein...Because carbs give you a little energy and protein helps you stay feeling fuller longer. Try a small apple (maybe split one with the hubby!) and a small tub of yogurt.

And, remember...diet is only 40% of it. Get moving!

(Speaking of getting moving, I'll do another post on physical activity tomorrow. I had quite a few requests for more cardio workout ideas. And, might I add, that it'll probably blow your mind when I tell you that cardio is not the best way to get yourself into shape. Stay tuned.)

3 comments:

Membership Required said...

Can you do a post on abdominal work? I really want to get rid of that thing that I see when I look down. I dont want my shirts to look like they are sticking out for a reason. I have had two c-sections so there is a tub of love there for me to conquer. Also, how did you do on your exam?

Mom: Fitness Junkie said...

No IDEA how I did on my exam. It was the strangest test ever.

I've had two sections, myself, so I know where you're coming from. You'll be able to tighten your abs with sufficient ab work (which I will post!), but the majority of the tub-o-love will have to be worked off via cardio...Unfortunately. There's no way to "spot train," so to speak.

One More Equals Four said...

Thanks for the advice...You hit my trouble area right on the head! When I am trying to restrict my calories, I find myself really hungry but don't want to eat and "spoil" everything and go over my calorie alottment. But! inevitabley I end up so ravenous that eventually all logic goes out the window and I end up eating something terrible with high calories because it is quick, easy and convenient! Thanks for the help!